Arguments and Attempts to be an Awarenivore

Arguments and Attempts to be an Awarenivore

June 06, 2010

Making Chili in June, among other things




Another chili story...at least I think there's one down there already...

I am opening a Woodchuck's 802 - yeah, I guess it's past 5 p.m., but I can't decide if this weekend was productive enough for me to be drinking. I suffer from some kind of mania that's guilt driven. I'm also actually thanking the loud music right below my office for scattering my thoughts a bit. Rainy Sundays tend to bring about a lot of thinking, but not so much doing. I did cut Jamie's hair today...and now this officially a diary entry, not so much an 'essay.'

I am glad for the coherent and somewhat organized thoughts about my grad school application that have come back with conviction today. I'm sure this is also thanks to Robynne being back in town, one of the two friends who have recently become Masters in something. :) It's inspiring in a few ways.

I did start a new writing project this week, and I am also in the midst of two books at the same time, both non-fiction.

I am also in the midst of making chili on this rainy, cool June Sunday. I picked the first bounty from our garden this week - though none of it will be going in the chili. We had salads yesterday with the homemade pizza - radishes (see above), spinach and red lettuce, and ate the leftovers again this morning alongside hard-boiled eggs. It is already truthfully supplementing our groceries - perfect timing, because we're both attempting to lay low this summer financially. Umm, until I buy a new (needed) vehicle soon.

Recipe (changes a bit every time):

1 lb Applecheek ground beef
3 cups(?) of a bean assortment, this time simply chickpeas and kidney beans (dried/soaked)
1 onion
1 carrot
2 sml cans of crushed tomatoes
2 tbsp of tomato paste
garlic
salt
red pepper flakes
cayenne pepper
cumin
tons of chili powder
a bit of maple syrup
splash of soy sauce (meaty flavor like worcheshire)
secret first-time ingredient - 1 tbsp or so cacao powder

...and I already can't wait for the sour cream and cheddar to top it with. Umm addicted to dairy.

My good friend Katie just texted me saying that we must be food-psychic, because she's making chili, too. Must be the weather.

No comments: